King Charles III: is he laying off 100 employees?

Stars

Writed by - Andy Gocker
 King Charles III: is he laying off 100 employees?
Charles has been king since September 8th. © imago images/PPE, SpotOn

Plans of the new ruler

Are dozens of Clarence House employees losing their jobs? Allegedly, employees of the new King Charles III. (73) informed of her possible dismissal. This is reported by the British newspaper 'The Guardian'. The reason is that the offices of Charles and Queen Consort Camilla (75) move to Buckingham Palace after the death of Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022).

Up to 100 employees at the new king's former residence, including some who have worked there for decades, have received notification that they may lose their jobs, according to the Guardian. And this in the midst of the turbulent first days of the new monarch's tenure.

The letters about the potential job loss came Monday during the service for the late Queen at St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, Scotland. Private secretaries, financial experts, the communications team and household staff are affected.

'Everybody's Angry'

The possible job loss is apparently unexpected for many. According to the report, numerous employees assumed that they would continue to work in the king's new office. A source told the Guardian: 'Everyone is absolutely furious, including the private secretaries and the senior team. All staff have been working late into the night since Thursday to accommodate everything. People were visibly shaken by it.'

Final decisions on the layoffs are not expected to be made until after the Queen's state funeral, which takes place on September 19. Dismissed employees should also be supported in finding alternative employment in other royal households or other jobs. In addition, they are said to be getting a severance payment that is above the legal minimum.

Only the work goes to Buckingham Palace

As his residence, King Charles III. continue to use Clarence House for the time being. This was previously reported by the “Independent”. The construction work at Buckingham Palace is not yet complete. The London landmark is considered the main residence of the monarchy, and Charles III. has already held a number of audiences there, including with Prime Minister Liz Truss (47) and cabinet members.

The £369m refurbishment program for the historic building will span ten years. Electrical, plumbing and heating installations are to be modernized. King Charles and his wife, Queen Consort Camilla, are said to continue using nearby Clarence House as their home in the meantime. The current monarch moved into the former house of Queen Mum (1900-2002) in 2003. Charles and Camilla are said to have extensively renovated and redesigned the building to their liking. Among other things, pieces from Charles' art collection can be seen in it.

spot on news

 vip star