Queen Elizabeth II: moving funeral procession through London


Writed by - Andy Gocker
  Queen Elizabeth II: moving funeral procession through London
Queen Elizabeth II's coffin en route to Westminster Hall. In the background King Charles III. and the new heir to the throne, Prince William. © VADIM GHIRDA/POOL/AFP via Getty Images, SpotOn

Accompanied by her family

At 3:22 p.m. sharp, the coffin containing the remains of Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022) left Buckingham Palace. Lined by tens of thousands of citizens on the streets and to repeated effervescent applause, the body of the late Queen was brought to Westminster Hall in a funeral procession - accompanied by soldiers from all British branches of the armed forces. The Queen was laid out there for four days until her funeral next Monday, September 19.

The royal family around the new head of state, King Charles III, was already around 3 p.m. (73) in the palace. After a joint prayer, the Queen's coffin, covered with the royal standard and crown, was lifted onto a battle carriage. The funeral procession then set off from the British Castle to the British Parliament. Just behind the horse-drawn carriage carrying the coffin were the Queen's children: King Charles III, Princess Anne (72), Prince Andrew (62) and Prince Edward (58). In the second row, the Queen's grandchildren walked the procession, including Prince William (40) and Prince Harry (37). The two walked side by side behind their father Charles.

Camilla, Kate and Meghan followed in cars

The married ladies of the house, Queen Camilla (75), Princess Kate (40) or Duchess Meghan (41), did not take part in the procession on foot. They were taken to Westminster Hall in limousines. The procession was led by the two military bands of the Scot and Grenadier Guards. They played Funeral Marches Nos. 1, 2 and 3 by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) and Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy's (1809-1847) and Frédéric Chopin's (1810-1849) Funeral March.

The train passed Queen's Gardens, The Mall, Horse Guards and Horse Guards Arch, Whitehall, Parliament Street, Parliament Square and New Palace Yard. After the coffin arrived at Westminster Hall, the Archbishop of Canterbury held a brief service in the presence of the royal family, which was also attended by The Very Reverend Dr. David Hoyle, Dean of Westminster, attended.

The royal family was then taken back to Buckingham Palace in a convoy of several dark limousines.

spot on news

  vip star