The 'Stay With Me' hitmaker pulled out of the Manchester concert on Wednesday night (May 25) after just four songs due to vocal problems. The 'Unholy' singer claimed he was forced to cancel the AO Arena performance because singing was no longer possible. Just a few weeks ago, Sam was battling a persistent virus.
Now Sam has canceled the postponed shows in Birmingham and Glasgow entirely, as doctors have warned the Grammy winner there was a risk of causing 'permanent damage' to the voice. Full refunds were offered to those who attended the concert. A statement on social media said: 'Due to vocal issues during yesterday's Manchester gig we will unfortunately have to cancel the postponed Sam Smith shows in Birmingham and Glasgow. Doctors advised Sam to go on complete vocal rest due to a vocal cord injury. Sam is heartbroken that he had to cancel those shows, but doctors have said that if Sam continues to sing, his voice could be permanently damaged. But after a break there will be performances again.”
Sam also apologized for the abrupt end of the show in Manchester and wrote online: 'I honestly don't know what to say. I was battling a virus a few weeks ago and since then we've been touring all over Europe and having such amazing shows. I felt good at the sound check today and was so excited to offer Manchester a great show tonight with a special surprise at the end. During my third song I noticed something was wrong with my voice, I prayed it was just my voice waking up for the show, but by the fourth song I could feel something was really wrong. I got off the stage and tried everything to get my voice moving again, but it didn't work. I'm honestly heartbroken that I couldn't finish tonight's show for all of you. I love you all. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.'
BANG Showbizsource: vip.de